Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Embracing My Inner Child - One Way I Defy My 'Age'


Got Ya! I goosed the Moon God in the Dominican Republic. There he was with that expression on his face just waiting for someone to come along and give him a reason for it. Who could resist? Maybe my mind is in the gutter a little too much for some, but it keeps me feeling young and playful. Matt's mind is in the gutter just as much so it works for us.
I'm immature. There it is. I refuse to grow "old". I'm aging, but I'm not going down without a fight. I intend on keeping my attitude and mind young-at-heart and thus far, it's helped me defy the number. I'm proud of my age and I'm proud that I refuse to grow frumpy because that's what we're supposed to do. Says who? Not this girl!
It was January 2008 when we decided to go on a couples only trip to the Dominican Republic. Matt and I had sent my oldest son off to college. That moment in itself was devastating for me, considering I followed the bus on his first day of kindergarten, sobbing the entire way.  We still had 2 teens at home and as much as we adore our kids, they pretty much suck the life out of you in those fun-filled teenage years. I've always felt that God made babies beautiful and helpless so that you form a strong bond with them. This bond drives you to love and protect them. Ultimately, this bond keeps you from killing them when they are teenagers.
Our last vacation as a family was in the Spring of 2007, to the land of "Have a Magical Day". This trip was planned to help me cope with (I mean celebrate) the fact that our oldest was going to college and things would forever change. My inner child was jumping up and down at the thought of grabbing one last chance to take our kids to Disney.
It all went downhill when my brother-in-law suffered and massive heart attack and sadly passed away when we were an hour outside of La La Land. He died on Holy Thursday and catholics do not hold services until after the holy weekend is over so we voted to stay and try to enjoy ourselves. Paul would have wanted it that way. I suspect I was experiencing what bipolar feels like. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom and our two 16 year-olds skipped down Main Street together. I was laughing on the outside, yet I felt like I'd been kicked in the chest on the inside. I went through bouts of laughing and crying the four days we were there. I felt more like I was in the Twilight Zone verses being in the land of "Dreams Come True".  People looked at me like I was crazy. It was an out-of-body experience and I was feeling like a white jacket with shiny buckles might make a good fashion trend I could start.
All of these reasons are why we got 'selfish' and booked a vacation at an all inclusive, adults only resort. We needed to get away from everything and everyone and just BE. No little children crying, no teenagers sulking, just grown-ups.....acting like children.  All inclusive means ALL inclusive. We only needed to bring cash for tipping, easy enough as the Dominicans were gracious and grateful for every American dollar tip. All you can eat and all you can drink. YESSIR! We both felt like we'd needed a week of detox to make up for a week of indiscretions.
We had a blast! We ate, drank, swam, drank at the swim-up-bar and ate some more. We laughed and loved all week long and behaved like newlyweds. We both agreed that this was the best vacation we had ever been on. We didn't have to be responsible and we didn't have to jump through anyone's hoops - we just had to BE.
My inner child is once again jumping up and down. My friend Carolyn is getting married in the land of "Have a Magical Day" in 3 1/2 weeks!!! I am her maid of honor (technically I'm the matron of honor but we're not going there) and Matt is a groomsman. I am overflowing with excitement because this is my first trip to Disney without the kids and my first trip back since we lost Paul. It's just me and my Mr.  I will let my inner child come out and play. I will honor my kids and the memory of Paul by unleashing my inner child and skipping down Main Street in the land of "Dreams Come True".

No comments:

Post a Comment