Friday, August 20, 2010

Saying the "F" Word: Forgiveness - Letting Go of Food Remorse.

We all do it. We eat something that we know we shouldn't be eating or we overeat.  You're out to lunch with friends and you decide to order cheesecake or eat a third slice of pizza. At some point, remorse sets in.  We say it out loud as we loosen the button on our slacks "I shouldn't have had the cheesecake".   What really blows my mind is when I'm with someone who is truly trying to lose weight and they actually continue that pattern for the rest of the day. "I already blew my diet today so I'll just be more careful tomorrow". Plain cheesecake has about 500 calories per slice while strawberry cheesecake can pack up to 725 calories per slice!  A plain cheese pizza slice has 230 calories while pepperoni is closer to 300 calories per slice.  You now want to throw the entire day away and pack on extra empty calories? Or worse, starve yourself for the rest of the day?
So, you've just added 500 calories to your day. Why beat yourself up over it? It's done and it's time to let it go. Move forward and maybe find a way to burn a few extra calories over the day.  Why sabotage the entire day? Why punish yourself? Park a block further away from your office. Go for a brisk walk during half time at your daughter's soccer game or the last 10 minutes of your lunch break.  Replace the potato with another steamed or raw vegetable at dinner tonight.
Remember, deprivation can lead to failure. If we continually deprive ourselves and then have a table full of food in front of us, say at a cocktail  or holiday party, we begin to mindlessly eat. Remember that potato chip slogan "you can't eat just one"?  There's truth to that! So here is how I manage to not deprive myself, overcome cravings and let go of food remorse without losing the battle of the bulge.*
When we go out to dinner and the desserts are just too good to pass up I either share a dessert with my husband or take mine to go. It's very sexy when my husband spoon feeds me a little chocolate cake during our shared dessert. Even when I take it home, I won't eat it all at once or I'll share it. I don't normally choose to eat sweets since they sit at the tippy top of the food pyramid, so I don't beat myself up over a slice of apple pie. At home, I keep my fridge stocked with my favorite low-fat, strawberry yogurt.  If I'm craving something sweet after dinner I reach for my yogurt. It's sweet and it's full of calcium. No remorse ever follows giving in to yogurt.
When I go to a cocktail or holiday party where there is a spread of food laid out, I use a small plate and select the items that I truly enjoy, some good choices and some not so good.  I choose raw vegetables, a single cube of cheese and my idea of treats: coconut fried shrimp and scallops wrapped with bacon. I fill that little plate like it's a mini-dinner plate and walk away - far, far away from the temptation of the spread. I'll immerse myself in conversation with someone I enjoy. I most likely will savor a second glass of  merlot over hitting the dessert table.
Life is a series of moments. Enjoy the moments and the people you're with. Don't spoil them with food remorse and self-loathing, even if you do opt to head to the dessert table or go back for a second plate of fried finger foods.

*If you suffer from chronic illness or food allergies, always consult with your physician or a nutritionist for diet recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment