Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fruits and Veggies - Healthy, Delicious Choices or Science Projects? The Goop Phenomenom

Is it me or is it every household? I buy the fruits and veggies and store them in the drawer in my fridge that is clearly marked "vegetable crisper". Then, a week later, when I'm putting away my new produce, I have to sift through the old stuff that has now taken on new colors and textures. Some have even liquefied into this God awful smelling, brownish goop. That really stinks and I'm not just talking about the odor coming from the goop! I work hard for my money...don't we all? Why I am throwing it away on good intentions?
I swear if I don't wash it, cut it up and put in a see through package with a flashing neon sign it's going to become next week's science project. Will it grow green fuzz? Will it soften and breakout into vege acne? You know, those black spots? Or, my personal favorite, the liquefied, stinky, brownish goop? Okay, maybe the goop takes 2 weeks but you get what I mean.  I either prepare the veggies and fruits for easy access or I'm throwing it away. I feel like I am one step away from chewing the food for my family. In all fairness, I am just as guilty of ignoring the 'vegetable crisper' drawer during the week.  There are only so many hours in a day.
We already know the reasons why we need fruits and veggies: high fiber, low calorie, rich in nutrients and antioxidants. I know I feel better when I make an effort to eat 5 servings per day. Adding them to my diet is an okay plan but substituting them into my diet is best.  That means, instead of chips in front of the TV, I opt to munch on uncooked snap peas with spicy mustard  as a dip. Mustard has almost 0 calories! So I'm dipping, I'm munching and crunching with a healthy, low cal snack. If I'm in between meals and STARVING I will have 2 tablespoons of my favorite brand of hummus (it has ONLY 50 calories in 2 tablespoons) as a dip. I've upped my fiber and added protein which will help me feel more satiated longer.
So here's an opportunity to be more active once a week and burn some extra calories. Wash and cut up the veges and put them in clear, zip lock bags and place them on a shelf  for easy visibility and access. Leave the crisper drawer for the lettuce, potatoes, onions and any produce you plan on cooking. Wash the fruit and put it in a bowl on the counter top. I do this weekly, on a day off from work. I have a stereo in my kitchen so I pop in a Jack Johnson or Van Morrison CD.  I pour myself a glass of wine and turn this into "me time".  My favorite part is when Matt sneaks up behind me, kisses me on the back of my neck and grabs a couple of pepper slices from the cutting board. Those little moments are priceless. Wine, music and a soft kiss. Ahhhhh, doesn't that sound divine?
Maybe, my family will grab one of those delicious nectarines or apples over the chips. Maybe, they'll go for celery and carrots. Maybe they won't. But I know I will! I went through the process of selecting, purchasing, lugging, cleaning, chopping and packaging them. Yeah it's work, but work equals more calories burned and less calories consumed. I think I'll save those calories for another glass of wine. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. we do the same thing with fruits and veggies..cut 'em up, put in baggies and make them VERY easy to see and grab. It helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have your own reality TV show, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete