Monday, August 16, 2010

The Couple That Plays Together, Stays Together.

We exercise together. We hike, walk or go to the gym. We have a common goal - spending time together and staying fit. Neither of us are 'hard bodies' and we are not gym rats. We make time to get to the gym but we don't have a set schedule. We wing it. On a beautiful evening or weekend, we head outdoors. This picture was taken at a local NY State park - The Walkway Over the Hudson Rail Bridge. We'll walk the bridge or the rail trail. We have begun trying new walks/hikes. This past Saturday, we tried The Poet's Walk in Rhinebeck, NY. It was easy and freelicious! We started playing tennis this year - he's the teacher and I'm the student. We even tried Yoga. We didn't think we were the Yoga type but it is seriously challenging and relaxing. We both enjoyed it!
The point is, we are trying new things together. No matter what your interests or hobbies are, it's fun to try new things - both in the home and out of the home!
Look at this picture....whenever we are together we are a couple. We hug, kiss, hold hands and cop an occasional feel, if no one is looking. We always laugh. There is always something funny to be found in any situation. Just look for the funny. It's there, even if I have to create it by randomly breaking into an off-key song.
I purchased a Wii system for my husband for father's day. I thought to myself, he's either going to be upset that I spent the money on it or he's going to love it. He LOVED IT! We LOVE IT. Our kids LOVE IT. It's physical so you have to move more than your thumbs to play. We play it together - mostly bowling. We play alone - ping pong, tennis, golf. JUST DANCE is an insanely fun way to sweat and burn calories. Dancing. It's hilarious - we laugh so hard at ourselves and at each other. I highly recommend it! Our teens actually spend more time with us when they're home. That is money well spent!
We do crossword puzzles together.  We have to sit very close to see the same puzzle. Closeness is so very important. He always smells so good. One thing leads to another!
We play competitively. Scrabble, Yahtzee, cards, Trivial Pursuit. I am a sore loser and even more obnoxious winner! That's okay because Matt's willing to laugh with me not at me. That means I have to be willing to laugh at myself. I learned that from him.  He always says "if I don't laugh, I'll cry". I finally understand this concept. Laughter truly is the best medicine and the sound of his laughter is music to my ears. It's okay to cry too, but I prefer laughter any day. Promise to love me and laugh with me until death us do part.
Take your spouse or significant other by the hand and go for a walk while the weather still permits. Even if you never exercise, you can walk. If you're tired, you will most likely feel energized once you've completed a walk. Walk and talk - it's a nice, healthy way towards rebuilding or maintaining intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment