Sunday, September 19, 2010

Football Sundays - Chili & Tight Ends - What's Not to Love?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em - nothing is more true when you live with sports fanatics.  When our family gathers around the table for a meal, my husband and sons talk sports - or I should say - argue sports.

It's dizzying to me how much knowledge they possess about sports - any sport - ALL sports.  My husband sometimes has trouble remembering what I told him yesterday, but he can recall every New York Yankee lineup, past and present, AND remember each player's stats.  Our daughter and I would silently stare at each other during meals - rolling our eyes and shrugging our shoulders.  She was wise enough to remain silent - I on the other hand, would attempt to chime in on the great dinnertime debates, only to get corrected or instantly shot down.  The only opinion I have that doesn't get shot down is that Derek Jeter has a cute backside and a fine way of dodging inside pitches. Not that they agree with me, but none of them have any facts to support an argument against it - in fact, my family finds my Jeter fixation humorous. The guys' opinions often grossly differ, ultimately resulting in heated debates - the perfect time for me to lighten things up with comments about Jeter's assets.

I refused to become a sports widow so I made up my mind to embrace my family's love of sports - after all, if Matt can put up with and partake in antiquing with me, why couldn't I learn to partake in and enjoy sports?  The truth is, I love football season.  I really enjoy preparing a pot of chili or stew this time of year and there's nothing like leftovers after a manic Monday workday. To get in the 'zone', I purchased an Eli Manning Giants jersey and I wear it every Sunday.  I don't fully understand football, but I pay attention and ask questions.  I think my husband enjoys my interest and an opportunity to share his vast knowledge of the sport.

As Winter approaches, the days will grow shorter and colder here in the Northeast.  I can't wait to start a fire in our fireplace and smell chili simmering on the stove while I cozy-up on the sofa with my honey.  I don't mind watching the Tight Ends in a huddle either!

Tammy's Beef Chili
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
3  tbsps olive oil
1 small yellow onion - diced
5 cloves of garlic - minced
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1 cup of raw carrots - diced
1 medium green pepper - diced
1  29 ounce can of tomato sauce
1  6 oz can of tomato paste
1  15.5 ounce can of small red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
10 dashes of chipotle hot sauce (or to taste)
1 packet (1.25 ounce) of McCormick's low sodium chili seasoning

Garnish with 2 % shredded cheddar cheese and serve with tostada chips

Brown ground beef in a frying pain, drain and rinse off excess fat.  In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat, saute onions until translucent.  Add garlic, carrots and green pepper and saute for 3 minutes.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. 
Add cooked, strained ground beef and all other ingredients.  Bring to near boil on medium high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes stirring occasionally

Serve chili in small crocks, sprinkle with shredded cheddar.  Enjoy with tostada chips and someone you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment