Sunday, August 29, 2010

Let's Get Physical - A Tribute to Jane Fonda and the Fitness Craze of the 80's


"Let's get physical" - it was the mantra of the 80's. Jane Fonda is known for her oscar winning roles, political views, intelligence and beauty. She is also known as a pioneer of fitness back in the 80's.   She looked amazing in her leotard and leg warmers. Jane was in her 40's in the 80's.  That's right - a woman in her 40's started a fitness craze! As a now 50 year old woman, I find this both inspiring and amazing.  I've always admired Jane and women like her.  Intelligent, passionate, beautiful, strong and the picture of health - all qualities I have and still try to emulate.
Remember Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical" video?  Olivia sported the leotards and legwarmers while she did aerobics through it's entirety. It seemed like everyone was getting physical - taking aerobics classes and joining the gym. If there's one craze worth succumbing to - this was it. I turned 20 in 1980.  I was a slave to fashion and anything trendy in my 20's.  I still can't believe I permed my already curly hair - another fad I succumbed to.  Naturally, if sporting a leotard and joining a gym was the trendy thing to do then I was immediately on board.  I  joined a gym that was just for women.  I packed a bag in the mornings and went directly to the gym after work. I would meet up with friends and we'd sweat and laugh through aerobics class together.
While attempting to be a part of a fashionable trend, a healthy habit was born.  I continued to remain active and exercise throughout most of my adult life.  It helped shaped me - both literally and figuratively - into the strong, fit woman I am today. Outside of a few busy years in my 30's, I've tried to exercise regularly. I unfortunately learned in my 30's that  it was more difficult to balance work, school, motherhood and home without the extra energy working out gave me.
Crazes eventually go out of style. The fitness craze of the 80's turned into a good habit for me.  Working out is the best thing I do for me. Jane Fonda is now in her 70's and still looks amazing so I imagine it wasn't just a craze for her either.  Exercise looked great on her then and it looks great on her now.  I'm still admiring you Jane and I thank you for being an inspiration to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment